The 'Glove Factory', built in 1872 for Ewens & Johnson Ltd. and recently Grade II listed, is the last vestige of the glove making industry in Yeovil. It is prominently positioned on the southern edge of the town centre, currently surrounded by a temporary car park and overlooking the Country Park beyond. The site is proposed for regeneration into a mixed use urban quarter with the 'Glove Factory' as its centrepiece and edged by the Promenade, fronting onto Dodham Brook and the Park. The new buildings form a tight courtyard and are clad in orange brickwork with stone shop surrounds and banding, very much in keeping with the Yeovil vernacular. The townhouses have an animated elevation of bay windows and balconies facing south. The corner of Summerhouse Terrace and the New Square is marked by a prominent circular four storey drum. All frontages are 'active' with shop fronts and entrances. The 'Glove Factory' is separated from the new development by means of a contrasting timber clad link block which accommodates a staircase, lift, toilets and a kitchen serving the café/restaurant and the offices over. The development creates a new 'face' for Yeovil and a proper setting for the 'Glove Factory'.
, ESHA architects LLP - ESHA architects & Planning Consultants is a trading name of ESHA architects LLP - All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing on this site are the property of their respective owners.